Licensed Ontario Online Casinos 
Enjoy safe online gambling at one of the top licensed online casinos in Ontario.
What does it mean for online casino players to gamble at registered online casinos in Ontario? In a nutshell, the new legal framework allows iGaming Ontario, a subsidiary of the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO), to link up Ontarians with tried and tested online casino providers who operate within a safe and trustworthy online environment. Gone are the days of searching the web and worrying whether the online casinos that you choose are reliable, secure, and properly licenced. Through iGaming Ontario, operators are carefully selected and certified based on fairness, integrity, social responsibility, and player protection. Register today at one of the top licensed casinos in Ontario and gamble online in a safe, secure, and fully certified environment.
Our Top Ontario Online Casinos
Background to the Introduction of Licensed Online Casinos in Ontario
In July 2021, the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) established a company subsidiary, iGaming Ontario. The new entity was tasked with setting up a licensed online casinos market in Ontario, within which it would conduct and manage internet wagering provided by private gaming operators.
The rationale behind establishing a regulated iGaming market was to ensure that local players would have access to authorised, legal and vetted websites that would guarantee player protection and meet Ontario’s high standards for responsible gambling and game integrity.
iGaming Ontario, which is governed by an interim board of directors, has been given the mandate to enter into operating agreements with providers who meet specific criteria. These include operator integrity, social responsibility, fairness, and player protection, thus allowing all players to have an equal chance of winning.
A share of revenue generated through these licensed online casinos in Ontario is returned to the provincial coffers to support social projects in the province.
How do Online Casinos in Ontario get Licensed?
Licensed online casinos in Ontario that operate as private entities can obtain a provincial operational permit from iGaming Ontario, an agency of the Government of Ontario that manages and conducts internet gambling in the province.
iGaming Ontario was established in July 2021 as a subunit of the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) to bring top online gambling experiences to local players in a safe and secure operating environment.
Upon receiving a licensing request, iGaming Ontario will evaluate whether a potential online casino provider can become licensed based on various factors such as fairness, operator integrity, social responsibility, and player protection. The final decision is then made by the iGaming Ontario’s Board of Directors.
Once granted, the operator can launch licensed online casino services in Ontario. Additionally, iGaming Ontario undertakes to transfer a share of the revenue collected from these commercial relationships to the provincial government for social upliftment projects.
The Benefits of Gambling at a Licensed Online Casino in Ontario
Using licensed online casinos in Ontario goes hand in hand with the provincial government’s competitive iGaming market objectives. There are numerous benefits for the end-user within the new operating framework:
1. Consumer Choice
- Introducing fair competition within Ontario’s regulated internet gaming market segment to improve the end-user experience
- Improving entertainment choice for consumers
- Responding to consumer preferences
2. Consumer Protection
Ensuring game integrity, as well as promoting responsible and safe play
- Blocking underage access
- Ensuring private operators comply with relevant laws, including anti-money laundering regulations and applicable privacy and information security laws
3. Legal Market Growth and Provincial Returns
- Leveraging private sector know-how
- Unlocking opportunities for private businesses
- Tackling the unregulated iGaming market
- Rerouting provincial revenue that might otherwise flow to other jurisdictions
- Investing new revenue in priority projects that benefit Ontario
4. Reduce Red Tape
- Enabling innovation within the marketplace
- Reducing regulatory pressures on businesses
The Rationale of Licensed Online Casinos in Ontario and Government Role
iGaming Ontario fully supports the provincial government’s objectives of highlighting consumer protection and establishing a safe and responsible player experience.
To achieve these objectives, iGaming Ontario requires private operators to:
- Successfully achieve responsible gambling accreditation via the Responsible Gambling Council’s RG Checkprogramme and ensure the highest standards of responsible gambling programming
- Hinder problem gambling and run responsible gambling campaigns to achieve a balance between promotional marketing and responsible gambling advertising
- Participate in coordinated and centralised self-exclusion programmes that allow players to take a break from all regulated internet gambling websites in Ontario
- Share anonymous player data to advance problem and responsible gambling research
Operators are required to meet all expectations and fulfil the responsible gambling requirements of the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario according to the Standards for Internet Gaming, which cover the following areas related to responsible gambling:
- Culture and policies
- Advertising and marketing
- Supporting informed decision-making
- Identifying and helping individuals who might be experiencing harm
- Employee tuition
- Self-exclusion and play breaks
- Game design and features
- Limit setting options
Primary Focus of iGaming Ontario
- Establishing a leading iGaming market in Ontario that is safe, open, competitive, consumer-centric, and provides more choices and opportunities while creating equal opportunities for new businesses via commercial contracts
- Ensuring that legal obligations regarding financial and revenue reporting are met
- Ensuring all iGaming sites operating within Ontario’s regulated iGaming scheme have strong player protection and responsible gambling requirements
- Overseeing a rigorous anti-money laundering programme
Primary Focus of the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario
- Ensuring that responsible gambling is entrenched in operators’ company culture and players have the tools and support to gamble responsibly, including an option for self-exclusion
- Guaranteeing that the games operate as they were designed and are fair to players
- Preventing crime, including money laundering, by ensuring that criminal activities are deterred and detected
- Preventing access to minors by restricting underage individuals from gambling
- Protecting personal information by ensuring that it’s kept private